Friday, December 14, 2007

Unsolved Problems

In the last post I documented just one unsolved problem in mathematics which I encountered in a book obtained from my local library: "Beyond Reason" by A.K. Dewdney.

I was now curious about other unsolved problems in Mathematics, and thus entered into the search box of Wikipedia (the free encyclopedia) the following: "Unsolved Problems in Mathematics". This led to a reference of unsolved problems (the number in parenthesis)
in the field of:

-- linquistics (13)
-- economics (8)
-- mathematics (55)
-- physics (36)
-- philosophy (18)
-- chemistry (13)
-- neuroscience (8)

I was just impressed at these unsolved problems, and now I am going to start thinking about what are the top ten of all these problems.

My original top ten science issues documented in the index page of this blog were obtained from just my experience of science and what were the issues I encountered during my life. Now we have 151 issues across various categories.

The mapping of my top ten map to the following categories:

1. Origin of Life -- philosophy

2. Meaning of Time -- philosphy and science

3. Dark Matter -- physics

4. Quantum Mechanics and Relativity -- physics

5. Evolution/Intelligent Design -- science (biology)/ philosophy

6. Mind/Brain -- neuroscience

7. Choas theory -- mathematics/physics

8. Nanotechnology -- applied science (biology/chemistry)

9. Artificial Intelligence -- philosophy

10. Multiple Universes -- science and philosophy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home